Have you ever been inspired by so many things that you wanted to incorporate all of them into one project? Well that’s what I will be doing once a month on the blog through a series I’m going to call Ren’s 10. I’ll be taking 10 of my favorite products or items that I’m currently finding inspiring, telling you all about what I love about them, and transforming them into one awesome, out of the box project that you can use at home or out in the world! First up, you ask? I’m currently obsessed with cute clutches, black foil, and leather tassels, so I’ll be showing you how to create your very own clutch with foil lettering and leather tassel keychain with some of my favorite craft store finds and Tombow USA supplies! Let’s get started!
REN’S 10 FAVE CRAFTY PRODUCTS IN OCTOBER
I’ve been loving these items lately! You’ll need the following to create this project:
- CUTE BLANK CLUTCH: Everywhere I go lately, I feel like I’m coming across the cutest blank clutches and bags that are just screaming for some lettering on them! I picked up some cute canvas ones that are the perfect size for storing my craft supplies and brush pens, makeup, or my phone, wallet, and keys!
- BLENDED PURPLE TOMBOW DUAL BRUSH PENS : Let’s face it, I’m always obsessed with Tombow Dual Brush Pens (96 colors of goodness!), but with Halloween and the fall season upon us, I’m totally digging blending dark and light shades of the color together to create an ombre effect. I mean shades 636 (Imperial Purple) and 623 (Purple Sage) look perfect together!
- BLACK FOIL– Foil is always a good idea… and normally I’m all over gold foil, but I’m totally digging the shiny, patent look of black foil. The dark color and shine add a little extra shine and glam to any project.
- LEATHER FRINGE: Tassels are still on the list of things that I cannot get enough of… seriously. As I break out the fall wardrobe, I’m obsessing over all things leather with my accessories and loving leather fringe. On my last craft store splurge, I picked up some black, metallic gold, and white leather fringe that I’ve been dreaming of turning into the perfect tassels! I tend to just run across scraps of leather fringe that I like in craft stores rather than online.
- TOMBOW MONOTWIN PERMANENT MARKER: This trusty permanent Marker is a staple in my lettering and craft stash. The dual tips make it versatile with fine tip and broad tip. With pumpkin carving and halloween crafting in the near future, the Tombow MONOTWIN Permanent Marker is a must-have!
- KEY CHAIN CLIPS: With tassels and pom poms everywhere these days (at least in my world), I keep dreaming of creating the perfect little key fobs and picked up a few clips to create something fun!
- TOMBOW MONO MULTI LIQUID GLUE: This glue is so versatile and perfect for creating lettering details with the pen tip. After the lettering dries you can apply foil, too! It’s magical!
- TOMBOW MONO PERMANENT ADHESIVE + : I cannot say enough about this amazing adhesive. The Tombow MONO Permanent Adhesive + is an easy to use tape runner that I find myself using in every single project, lately.
- TOMBOW XTREME TABS: These adhesive tabs are so easy to use and perfect for all those fall decor projects I’m doing lately. The hold is very strong and the Tombow Xtreme Tabs are work great with all kinds of materials.
- TOMBOW XTREME ADHESIVE: There are just certain projects that need a little extra hold . I find myself finishing these details with the Tombow Xtreme Adhesive.
LETTER AND FOIL THE CLUTCH
Let’s begin this project by lettering the clutch. I chose to letter the phrase ‘choose joy’ because it’s my goal to create, live, and love always choosing joy along the way. Start off by creating faux calligraphy with the Tombow Monotwin Permanent Marker. Use the broad tip to create the lettering and create thick downstrokes and thin upstrokes, like calligraphy. Fill in the down strokes and make the lettering shaped the way you like it.
Trace over the lettering with Tombow MONO Multi Liquid Glue. The pen tip is perfect for tracing over lettering or lines and filling in shapes. Lefty tip: I like to work from right to left and top to bottom when working with a wet ink or material so that I don’t smear my hand through what I’m creating.
Let the lettering dry. You will know that the Tombow MONO Multi Liquid Glue is dry because it turns clear and feels gummy and sticky to the touch.
Apply a sheet of craft foil (dull side down) to the lettering and press firmly.
Lift to reveal the foiling. You may reapply to details that didn’t get foiling as needed. Make sure there aren’t any sticky little nooks or crannies left. TA DA! It’s foiled and beautiful!
CREATE THE LEATHER TASSEL KEYCHAIN
Now it’s time to create the leather tassel key chain!
Start by cutting a few inches strand of leather fringe in three different colors. I chose three different lengths and textures of leather to add some interest to the key chain.
Create your own blended tassel with the two shades of purple by coloring the white or light colored fringe on both sides with the dark purple at the top and the light purple at the bottom. Yes, Tombow Dual Brush Pens color on leather and I love how quickly they dried on this surface. I’d test them before coloring the whole piece, though.
Apply Tombow Xtreme Tabs to the top of the end of the fringe on both sides. Take one strand of the leather and wrap it over the top of the fringe and to the other side to create a loop within the tassel.
On the pretty side of the tassel, apply Tombow MONO Permanent Adhesive + about 3/4 the length of the piece of fringe.
Roll the tassel up, applying force at the top, where the adhesive is. Make sure the pretty side of the fringe is facing outward.
On the back side of the remaining fringe, apply Tombow Xtreme Adhesive. Continue rolling the tassel up and press it down firmly to make sure that the tassel will remain in tact.
After creating all three tassels, position them on a key chain clip and attach this to the finished clutch!
YOU’RE SO CLUTCH… MAKE IT YOUR OWN!
This clutch will have all of my favorite Tombow brush pens inside, that’s certain! I’d love to see what you create! Go over to @renmadecalligraphy on Instagram and share what you create by tagging me! For more information about the products in this tutorial, make sure that you check out the affiliate links throughout this post and visit tombowusa.com to find out more about my favorite Tombow USA supplies!